Week In Review
Rules Question of the Week?
In this week's rules question I have posted the Timing/OT Rules that come directly from the FNL Rules Manual. Please read them and message me if you have any questions.
Games are played with 10 minute running quarters (40minutes), 1 minute water break between quarters and a 5 minute halftime. If the score is tied at the end of 40 minutes, teams move directly into overtime.
The following tie-breaker system will be used for all overtime games.
• Coin flip determines possession
• Ball is placed at Midfield
• After 3 plays, the referee will mark where the ball ended up (cone, flag, etc)
• Opposing team will now take over at Midfield run their 3 plays going in the same direction.
• Whichever team gains the most yards on 3 plays wins the game
• If both teams are tied after 3 plays, we do it again until there is a winner.
• Negative net yards on offense will count against you. Other team must still run their 3 plays.
• If the ball is intercepted and the runner’s flags are pulled before they reach the end zone. The ball is spotted at mid field and the team only needs to gain one yard. If they gain one yard on the first play, the team can take knee the ball twice and they will win the game.
• If ball is intercepted and returned for a touchdown, game is over.
• Overtime is only for all Premier Games, 5th and 6th, 7th and 8th, and playoff games.
- Each time the ball is spotted, a team has 30 seconds to snap the ball.
- Teams will receive one warning before a delay of game penalty is enforced.
- 2 timeouts per half and they do not carry over to 2nd half if unused.
Organizing member of iCanReferee & Head Offiicial of Friday Night Lights flag football league. Over 12 years experience with youth flag & tackle football. Major responsibilities are education, on-field training, game assignments, rules interpretation & expanding the organization.